Friday, April 15, 2011

Things that I think are funny.

I love it when someone starts telling you a story and this happens:

"So, I was sitting in my hotel room in New York and -- oh wait, have I already told you this story?" They then wait expectantly as your mind swirls with any story you may or may not have heard from them, about New York or hotels or how to make pistachio ice cream and you usually just want to say at them, "how am I supposed to know, you haven't told me the story yet!" But usually you say "no," or "I don't think so," and they continue. It's especially awkward when you realize halfway through that they have indeed already told you the story, but you can't stop them because they would say "I already asked if you'd heard it!" Well, how was I supposed to know what story it was from a lame 12-word preview?

Almost as awkward as when you pass your former spanish teachers in the hall and they ask you (in spanish) how you are and you don't know whether or not to respond to them as a friend or as their student. Which you are not technically anymore. But the subject addresses change, you see.

Almost as awkward as when your cat walks across the keyboard when you're typing and accidentally presses a button that de-activates the entire keyboard and you don't know which button she pressed because she is just a flurry of paws sometimes.

Almost as awkward as when your history teacher makes you watch "Invisible Children" during your free block and then when it's over you bring the DVD up to her and she asks excitedly, "Did you like it?" And then you stare at her and reply, "I mean ... I don't like the idea of it, but it was ... a well-made documentary? If that's what you're asking?"

Almost as awkward as talking about prom with your friend during lunch and asking, "so, are you going with Jo- anyone?" when you realize mid-sentence that you don't know if her boyfriend Jon and her are still together or not. (They are! Phew!)

Almost as awkward as when you are in a math study group before school and you ask about a question on the homework and the girl sitting next to you looks at your pages of homework that you stayed up late finishing and says, "Umm, would you mind if I just looked at that for a minute and wrote some things down? I didn't get around to it last night." And then I replied, "Oh, well for the most part all I wrote down were my answers, I didn't write down the full questions for some of them, so you borrowing it wouldn't be helpful to you if you didn't do it." And then having her reply, "Oh, well just in case [the teacher] checks it." And then you're forced to look her in the face and say, "No, you cannot copy my homework." Awkward.

Almost as awkward as going to get ice cream with your mother after school because we're cute like that and ordering the same type of ice cream and having the boy behind the counter put an extra bit on mine and then going back to the car and having your mother say, "He gave you extra because he likes you!" And then looking down at your paint-and-clay-stained jeans and black hoodie zipped all the way up and messy hair and saying "or because I didn't ask for sprinkles on top. Either way."

Almost as awkward as when you have dinner with your parents and all they talk about is plants and why there are so many cars in the neighbor's driveway. And then having your dad say, "maybe someone died!" And then you just go back to talking about plants.


All of these things happened to me today. It was an exciting day.

1 comment: