Last year, my video production teacher told the class: "The worst enemy of a great idea is a good idea."
I've been thinking about this a lot lately. At school, I see people think of a good idea, whether it be what to draw or wear or what to eat for lunch, and they stick with only good ideas without letting the great ones fully develop. Why settle for anything less than extraordinary? I understand that there are priorities -- people won't generally bring in homemade sushi with chocolate souffle for dessert for a normal everyday lunch. It's certainly easier, for time and sanity's sake, to grab a sandwich and a piece of fruit or a yogurt and be done. I do it myself! But when it comes to a long-term project, people often stick with one of the first good ideas they have and go through with it, often getting bored halfway through. I see this all the time in art classes especially. I'm in a very talented ceramics class right now, but there are definitely some people, (who are perhaps new to art, to be fair) who go with the kind of standard, run-of-the-mill projects that have been done by other students in the past and are easy to execute. Projects like this often turn of fine and dandy, but are often missing that "wow" factor. I know these projects can often be attributed to people not caring enough about the class, or not wanting to put in the time and effort. However, imagine what amazing things would be done if people weren't afraid of their great ideas and let their creativity flow. We would live in a much more vibrant world, that's for sure! I also see it in backpacks and boys' clothing. Blue, black, grey. Yawn.
LETS HAVE A WORLDWIDE TIE-DYE PARTY

No comments:
Post a Comment